Tuesday, November 03, 2009

There's no way you'll be happy if you compare yourself to the best, so just do the best you can and love what you can do.


Glenda and I got really high after we did the linking arm thingumjigalingaling in the canteen today. Okay I don't know what's that, and I was the one who started it anyway HAHA.

Waving like a mad idiot to Jeslin Eng Jia Lin across the canteen too! So Glen & I skipped our way up to the AVA room and shouted some more, before I had to leave for art at 1.



MissKwa brought us to RJC and NYJC to watch their A'level art exhibitions and I'm very impressed. Copied some stuff in my notebook and took some pictures for they give me inspiration.

There were 2 works from each school I loved alot, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put it up here. Since RJ allowed photography, I shall. Tell me if I need to credit the students!


The two from RJC are the oil paintings and watercolour paintings (with chinese ink) on rice paper. Their prep works were pretty well done with loads of exploration and experimentation. I know I'm supposed to know WHY i like these two works, but I don't have an answer for now.


(Seriously, is it fine for me to post them up?
Okay I'll credit hahaha)



Two from the series:




"...If there are a hundred people you pass on the street you couldn't care less about,
then there's a hundred people who couldn't care less about you.

If your existence were to be made up of the fragments
of other people's glimpses of who you are,
wouldn't that be nothing much at all?"

- Andrea Wong, 2009


Oil on canvas:




"Is seeing believing?
As we seek visual ideals in art, we compromise other ideals
& notions in the process.

The means which we use allow us to look into our subject objectively,
but at the same time,
we lose perspectives that were previously available to us."

- Ivan Lee, 2009



2D installation (if that's what you call it) at art gallery
Everything is made out of TAPE.

(didn't read the write up D:)

- Jerrell Goh, 2009


and more tape.


a piece about lines and space. Tape and paint.

"...the sheer power of lines creat illusions,
mimic physicality of real objects
without occupying any real space at all.

With lines, something can be made out of nothing..."

- Teng Yen Lin, 2008


(I don't feel so funny posting pictures of installations LOL)




There was this huge charcoal drawing in a very expressive style from NYJC, and her painting style is the exact kind I love. Very very expressive and free. Another one was a photography book (glass-like creatures) which I didn't want to let go because I adored the choice of words and the journey of the bubbles so much. The rest had to wait quite a long time for their turn to view it cause I read every single word on the prep board. I'd buy it anytime.

There was a particular line/page which caught my attention, something like "it (the bubble) may also pretend to be like the sun". & also how these bubbles travel between people, or how the space it creates hugs you ......... (tightly) when it bursts :D





Don't know why I can't blog any of those thoughts/inspirations out right now, but I'm really glad it gave me a kind of direction and a rough gauge.

Talking to mskwa on her car also answered some of my questions towards the prep boards and the final piece of work.

Btw, RJC has their own art gallery, an air conditioned art room, a print making room plus loads of facilities. NYJC transformed the gallery of their hall into an art gallery with cool partitions! Our school should do the same, and renovate the art room for goodness' sake ):




There isn't an apparent theme or title in my head for next year's coursework right now (again, IF I get promoted), but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do something very personal. One of these days, I will print out my blog archives and try to find something special to me. Not themes like "global warming" or "destruction" or "materialism".

Something personal. I'll enjoy the process that relates to me much more :D



After PW and the Reexams, I shall visit more museums and exhibits!

To get inspiration on how I can present my ideas/works and perhaps find out which kind of medium I'm most interested in. Yup. Time for more observational studies too!

No comments: